Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Learning to Be Still

Well hopefully you all agree with Gary Gnu in that “no gnu-s is good gnu-s” because this week has been fairly uneventful.  I did run my longest training run on Friday which was a total of 20 miles.  One of the nurses in the OR is training for the marathon too and ran 20 miles on a treadmill (she calls it the dreadmill, wonder why after 20 miles).  I however with my attention deficit problems can’t stare at the inside of a tent for that long and so I had to break it up.  I ran 7 miles on the treadmill then went outside to run on the main road that follows the flight line.  It is called Disney Drive named for a fallen soldier.  It is a three mile road so I ran it twice and then got back on the treadmill and did another 7 miles.  All in all it took me just under three hours to do 20 miles which puts me on target to finish the race in less than four hours.  I don’t know about the rest of you runners out there but if I am doing anything over about ten miles I have to pre-medicate with some Imodium or else I get into big trouble at about mile 18, must be something in the constant bouncing of my innards. Disney used to represent the ‘happiest place on earth’ but now I just associate it with bubble gut. 
Enough about my gastrointestinal distress, moving on to a different tragedy, my laptop bit the dust.  I actually purchased a new laptop to bring out here before my better sense (named Cami) kicked in and I took it back and brought my oldie but goody.    There are certain things you cannot do on government computers like access personal blogs.  You can however get on Facebook which I don’t really understand but that is not relevant.  Anyhow, I used my laptop each week to update my blog and write my emails.  In the anesthesia office there is a set of bunk beds that we use as shelves and storage for anything we don’t have a place for.  A co-worker and I keep our laptops plugged in and charging on the bed and have for the last five months.  Thursday night when I got in to work the girl that keeps her computer by mine said, “I have got to show you something.”  She picks up her MacBook and opens it to reveal a shattered screen.  There was a round indentation on the top of her computer where a bowling ball or helmet with 40 pounds of bullet proof vest on top of it bashed it in.  I went over to my computer and opened it up.  The screen was intact but there was a popping feel to it when I lifted the screen.  I pushed the power button got a weak blue flash before it flat lined never to stir again.  On closer inspection the same blunt force trauma that shattered the computer screen hit the back half of my laptop and severed the power connections so it will not charge or recognize it is plugged in.  Luckily I backed up the whole thing before coming here so nothing was really lost.  No one has yet confessed to doing it. 
On a more exciting note I shipped my last box home this past week.  I packaged up everything that I don’t think I will be needing, including my laptop’s battered carcass, some clothes, books, souvenirs and other miscellaneous junk and sent all 57 pounds of it home.  The motto here is ‘you pack it you carry it’ so we all try to pack as little as possible.  It is one of those milestones on the road to going home so I was excited to send it off.  Today we also had our squadron medal presentation ceremony and re-deployment party.  I was awarded the NATO medal and the Afghan Campaign medal along with everyone else that came here.  They pin a medal on you, you salute then march down a line and then they take it away from you to pin on the next group.  If you want to keep it you have to buy it, budget cuts I guess.
Well that is about as much news as I have for you.  As per tradition I will end by sharing a brief thought that has been swirling around in my mind.  After last week’s lesson on Noah and listening to a book about the end of days (The Great and Terrible for those interested) I have been thinking a lot about how hard it is to really tune in to the spirit to receive guidance and comfort in this crazy, loud, obnoxious, hectic world of ours.  I think often in terms of my children and all that they have going on and how much more they will need to learn to master the art of listening to the still small voice.  As I have been thinking about this a line of scripture repeated in Psalms 46:10 and D&C 101:16 kept coming into my mind. 
‘Be still and know that I am God.’
This small but profound idea is the answer to keeping ourselves tuned to the Spirit.  Years ago I started a habit that has helped me to put this into practice.  Driving home from work I used to listen to talk radio or music.  I found that often I would get worked up listening to Glen Beck talk about the government or Dr Laura chastising a young man for getting married too young (inside joke).  One day I just turned it off.  At first I would just drive and enjoy the quiet.  After that I started to go through my day in my mind and put things in their proper places so when I got home I felt more engaged in what I was doing there.  After that my thoughts turned into prayer;  a report to God on my day, thoughts about how to do better, how to be a better husband, how to be a better father, employee, scoutmaster, whatever.  I would feel the spirit whisper to my mind in those quiet moments in the car and I would get home filled with love and joy. 
                Distraction is one of Satan’s most powerful tools.  It is not a sin to be super busy and involved so it is easy to ensnare the righteous in the ‘thick of thin things’ as President Monson put it.  It is easy to be rushing from sun up to sun down getting in a quick scripture study here and a hurried prayer there.  Take the time to be still. Why is pondering mentioned so often in the scriptures?  Take the time to be still and quiet, to listen.  Who says your nightly prayer has to be offered right before you jump into bed exhausted?  Pray hours before you plan to sleep.  Lie in bed and be still.  Turn off the radio when driving alone.  Learn to take time to be still.  Don’t fall into the trap of distraction. So much of life is illusion, smoke and mirrors meant to draw our minds away from its true purpose.  When you take the time to be still it is then you will know that He is God!
                I hope you all have a glorious week.  Thanks for everything!
Here are some pictures for the week:

This is a picture of the flooding Brett mentioned a few posts back! Pretty crazy!


Our cute niece, Michelle, and  her 4th grad class all sent Brett some cards! Isn't that the coolest thing!!!?

Brett's running route in Bagram! Pretty good pace, there!

The crew training for the marathon


1 comment:

Mama Bell said...

Encouraging to hear that you are counting down the days and mailing you things not needed to your home! You will be with your beloved family before you know it and it will all seem like a dream--or nightmare--depending on the day. Love you and pray for you night and day!